Friday, April 8, 2011

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

I have tweeted 132 times. What do I possibly think I have to say that I need to tweet that often as well as have a blog?

I’ll continue both, of course. This time I get to use real names. Except I do have to say that Delta and a few other funny people here keep quoting "It's just a flesh wound" about her head injury so that is absolutely hilarious. Moving on. So far Olympia has been really wonderful. We went for a stroll last night as a class. It took about 4 minutes to get through the entire town and that’s because my professor stopped to talk a few times and I’ve mentioned how he’s a slow talker. There’s about two streets and there about two blocks long. Afterwards we were all going to go to dinner together, but some of the class abandoned Kristine as she was helping Fisher pick out what to get us for lunch today. Since Caroline and I are really close with Kristine and decent human beings, we waited for her while everyone else just walked away. Fisher ended up buying us delicious chocolate and then showing us the place where he’s taking us out to dinner tonight. We sat down there while he lit a cigarette and drank a beer completely disregarding the no smoking signs in Greek and English with a picture of a cigarette with the red circle and line through it that reminds me of Ghostbusters that was sitting on every individual table. This guy is just so boss. He does whatever he wants and knows everything and everyone. So strange. We were all incredibly hungry after the ridiculous day we had and were so ready to eat. This was probably the best tzatsiki I had ever had. It was really good combined with starvation. Yummy. Then we got souvlaki which is basically a kebab and maxed out on it. It was called “Souvlaki Big Chicken” and the big part sold us. Kristine accidentally catapulted the first piece of her meat off her skewer and I think I saw a couple tears. The flung meat just stared at us, tempting us for the rest of the meal. It was delicious. We scraped the tzatsiki clean with fries and left no traces of food. When I went to go pay for the check, which you have to go get it or else they’ll let you just sit there for hours without ever bringing it, I had a humorous conversation with the busy owner. He was trying to tell me that Professor Fisher had paid for our meal, but he had left before we even got our food and I assumed he was saying that he paid for his beer. This was very confusing for me and took minutes to straighten out. When I returned to the table, my friends didn’t believe me, which is reasonable since I’m a moron, and checked with the owner again. He began to get annoyed by our stupidity. All I know is that us being patient and waiting for Kristine got us a free dinner and free chocolate. We are clearly the favorite in the group and that is pretty fantastic.

After dinner we walked back and went past a store that some classmates were in. They awkwardly walked out and tried to hurry us along. We were very annoyed by this. They’re lucky we had just eaten our body weight in meat because we were all super cranky and hating everyone before that. I put some pieces together and realized that a boy I recently referred to as Cullen was buying the girl I called Delta flowers because he felt terrible and personally responsible for her still. I figured that out, high kicked, shouted “Nancy Drew” and then tried to figure out why they wouldn’t let us know that. That bothered me even more. Like they were going to get her flowers and try to be that person who wants all the credit for caring and showing sympathy and not let everyone else be involved. You know the kind, the person who will sign individual names on things just to point out that they were the first name, the one to organize it, and show who they shouldn’t thank. Considering the three of us were the most helpful and involved in the night, we were pissed. Well, it was more like me being annoyed by that.

We noticed that the stars were absolutely beautiful and decided to lay down on the hill street thing that leads to our hotel and look up at the stars. The group from the store came walking up and I had calmed down about them being “those people” and offered them to lay down with us when Cullen walked up holding three bouquets of flowers, one for Delta, one for Telescope and one for me! We all helped with his sickness the previous night and he wanted to thank us so he got us flowers! How nice, right?! People don’t get me flowers. I couldn’t even spell bouquet just now. It was pretty precious. I asked him to take a picture with me and the flowers and he was hesitant to because he didn’t want people to ask why he got them for me and then I have to explain that he projectile vomited all over the hostel wall. I reassured him that I would not tell anyone. I am always full of shit.

Our professor walked up, saw us lying there alone and started to talk to us about the stars. He sent me to a kiosk to get us some drinks. We actually paid for them though because we actually would have felt bad if he did considering he paid for so much. I bought 6 of these delicious drinks in a bottle and was holding two in my right hand and had one in my right armpit. I went to grab the fourth and the armpit one slipped out. I made a miraculous catch behind the back with my left hand without dropping or breaking anything. One of my prouder moments, especially relating to coordination. After buying out all the fruity drinks left at a kiosk, I ran back up the exhausting hill. Everyone went inside but I was so freaked out that they were hiding like jerks trying to scare me since they know I’m afraid of the dark. I screamed the entire way up calling them names and trying to get them to come out of the hiding spots only to find out I was completely alone. I’m weird. Then our professor came back out with us and gave us an astronomy lesson that was really amazing since I’m used to Chicago stars and not being able to see anything. I kept calling it astrology and that is not right.

I got a full nine hours of sleep and felt amazing when I woke up. Breakfast had these potato things that were so delicious. It was a nice change of pace from the usual breakfast we get of hard break and slices of tomato. We went to the archaeological site of Olympia. It was a sanctuary but also held the Olympic games that started in 776. I asked my classmates around me if I just call it Olympia or what and they are now continuing being smart and specific about it. All I care about is that it was beautiful and makes me appreciate history so much more knowing about the athletes. I am the only one here passionate about playing sports and only one other has very much appreciation for how cool this is but they get excited about workshops and streets and were so confused to see me so excited about a historic site. I got to start in the ancient starting blocks and run the race in the stadium. Amazing. I remember Ms. Brabec told me she did that and it has sounded like the coolest thing ever and it might have been. Then we sat and watched as the tourists did a similar thing. I got sunburned while arrogantly laughing at them while the other groups ran the race backwards. Psh silly tourists. You always finish a race towards the sanctuary. I guess not everyone can be such worldly scholar like me. I just spelled worldly wrong. Thank you, spell-check.

We finished, ate some lunch and some of us decided to walk up this hill that barely had a path. It was a beautiful view. You could see the whole sanctuary from above. On the way down I slipped, grabbed onto a tree to catch myself. Funny story about that tree is that it bent with me and I landed in a thorny bush. Luckily a classmate who is probably clumsier than me saw and we got a good laugh while everyone else tried to figure out what happened. So hilarious.

We got back to the hotel and showering felt wonderful on my sunburn and scratches from the adventuring through the thorns and other unknown things. I forgot to move the towels from the shelf in the shower so those got sopping wet so that’s good. Now I’m downstairs in the lobby to get Internet in my sister’s boyfriend’s basketball shorts (sorry, Mag) and a long sleeve t-shirt that just says “Teamwork” on the front and “Trust It.” on the back. I look pretty ridiculous. I am barefoot and putting my feet up on the table even though the bottom of your feet or shoes are considered to be very rude and offensive. Hence why people over here threw shoes at Bush a few years ago. Greek assholes are judging me. Typical. We’re going out for a meat filled dinner tonight again in about an hour so maybe I should get dressed and look like a real person so they will serve me.

Some of the classmates just realized I’m blogging and are interested in reading it. They want me to send them the link to it. Errr…not a good idea. Maybe I’ll start a fake one and send them that link? You think I can just send them Maggie’s blog about Iceland? I think they would believe that it’s mine not because they’re stupid, but because they think I’m one of the dumbest people they have ever met.

Everyone around me is attempting to create their schedules for next year and one of them had a free class to do whatever with it and I told them to take a comm class because they’re easy and usually the more entertaining ones. She told me she couldn’t because her dad would kill her. I think the quote was, “I once joked to my dad that I was a communication major and he started to cry. I had never seen him show that much emotion. He asked why I was disappointing him.” I guess her dad thinks that communications is a pointless major. It probably is, and I think it was hilarious, but part of me wants to defend it for the sake of defending it. Yes it’s stupid and I have no visible future because of my decision to be a comm major, but it’s like making fun of my mom. I can say absolutely anything about her tiny feet, terrible concept of song lyrics, and crazy antics on sports she doesn’t fully understand, but the minute you insult her I will get personally offended. Same goes to my ginger cousin. Don’t cross me.

So my defense is that sure, he is probably much smarter and more successful than I’ll ever be. And sure, his daughter is probably smarter as well. Sure, she’ll have a future with her history major and will always have that intelligence to rely on…

I just dug myself a pretty deep hole.

I can communicate better than her and her dad. Personality can get you far, right? I’m well-rounded? I have options with a career and her major is one track? Umm…

Screw it, I’m going to go sit by my friends who are creeping on facebook instead of planning a schedule.

They’re psych majors. My kind of crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment