Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm sorry that people are so jealous of me...but I can't help it that I'm so popular.

Every single time I try to post I have to go through the process of resetting my email address and password because frankly, I'm an idiot. We haven't had Internet here at all so it's been a while. I apologize to all my fans.

We left Athens on a big boat that we were given cabins in to go on a 10 hour boat ride to Crete. Good times, those will be personal stories that I cherish forever along with a few of my friends here. We are in Heraklion where it is way too beautiful to describe. The water is so perfect. We saw the site of Knossos, Phaistos, Agia Triada and Kommos. Knossos was great and really cool to finally see since we have been studying it for so long, but it sucked at the same time. The archaeologist who worked on Knossos decided to recreate what he believed it looked like so a lot of it is modern and ruins the fun of other archaeologists to come in and discover more because it's all modern concrete. It's a little frustrating. The next was Phaistos where is was much better. A lot less tourists and some amazing things there. Huge courtyard and this thing that was a rock garden that had holes in the rocks and originally would have flowers planted in the huge rock. The attention to detail in these palaces is amazing. They lined up these columns in the central courtyard to be perfectly even with these two mountain peaks in the background. Also, all palaces follow the "golden dimension" which makes it aesthetically pleasing to the human eye and it's so true. It seems so comfortable. Agia Triada was interesting, a lot going on because there were a bunch of different periods of people building there so it gets confusing trying to separate which part existed when. Kommos was a ship storage place on the coast. This is also the first place that purple was invented out of these shells. It was very rare and difficult which is why it is used in royalty. Fun Fact, huh?

In between the sites today, we went to the beach. For no educational purpose except to eat and tan and swim. The water was cold but I jumped off a cliff into the water. The first girl to do so, of course. It was so much fun. Amazing feeling. Felt like Pocahontas except the whole talking willow tree thing. But besides that, basically the same. Then we just sat around in the hot sand for a couple hours. It was so amazing to adventure through the caves and just stare at the flawlessly blue water. Beyond description. I seriously love everything about this place. Except the Greeks. They suck.

On my birthday, we were at Knossos and I was told there would be peacocks there. I couldn't find any until a friend calmly said he saw one around the corner. I. Freaked. Out. I love peacocks!! There was one man and like 15 girls and the man was sitting on this bench. Having a fear of birds is rough but I snuck past a little gate thing and ended up walking through this courtyard to get closer to the peacock where I took some pictures, gazed admiringly, felt accomplished, then the bird looked me dead in the eye and I panicked and ran away. Don't worry, someone got it all on tape. Bambi-yes, I saw a peacock. Greatest thing ever. I had seen one before but it was not nearly as cool. I know, you're so jelly you're basically a Smucker's Factory. I have pictures. Draw me something.

Also for my birthday the professor took our class out to dinner. I know, I'm so special. If you asked me a few years ago if I would be on Crete eating mussels, snails, and octopus for my 20th birthday, I would have told you that you had the wrong person. My life's a joke. Usually a 20th birthday should be so boring. You're not a teen anymore, cool. I mean, it's pretty cool I beat teen pregnancy, but at the same time I have now missed out on the opportunity to be on teen mom so I'm not sure if I came out on top or not...

I am currently sitting in this weird open air cafe that's an attempt at some Asian theme but it's totally not but it's pretty cool. It was so hot out today. I love air conditioning, not because I hate the heat so much, but because it's the best feeling ever needing air conditioning after such a cold time in Chicago. So wonderful.

Our first class ends this week. So sad because I absolutely love our professor Matthew. He's hilarious and unbelievably brilliant. Not sure how any other teacher will ever compare to him. So smart, it would be intimidating to be in a class with a professor who graduated from Oxford and Cambridge and now teaches at Cambridge. Normal. Considering I didn't know if I was even spelling those correctly, I'd say I have no business being in his presence.

I'm bored of myself right now and want to go eat elsewhere. Too bad I can't afford anything because there is not a single place in the country that accepts credit cards, especially food places. Glorious. Oh well, it will all be settled soon I hope.

We found a tv channel that only plays music videos 24 hours a day no commercials. Some are terribly awesome American. Some are terribly cheesy Greek music videos where they love to rhyme "higher" with "fire." Some are Mel C from Spice Girls. The tv has yet to be turned off.

Ps. I made it this entire time without making fun of my mom, I think. She's lucky because she sent me about 25 emails since I hadn't responded.

No comments:

Post a Comment