Friday, March 18, 2011

And I'm giving him to you as a replacement cat for the one I destroyed.

I've broken three chairs so far this trip. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

So we moved to Nafplion today where there are about 6 bajillion stray cats unlike Athens that has that many stray dogs. We decided to stay at this hostel that takes in strays too. This is a weird place. We had to choose as a group where we were staying and we split up into two groups and each looked at 3 or 4. We fell in love with this cat place because the women who owns it is hilarious and so nice. So we regrouped and basically told them we wanted to stay here. There was no argument and we moved in. (This is about the time I broke the chair.) Then as we were eating later the other group started telling us about the places they looked at, all of which were about 60% better and most of them cheaper than this one. This is why college students should not be in charge of such decisions. All that matters is who talks first and everyone settles. Considering I'm always talking, this can cause problems because I'm a moron and should not be a part of any decision making process. I hate cats.

Nafplion is so beautiful though. We went to Palamidi which is a fort or something. It was really huge and so cool to be at. In order to get to it, there are 999 steps. Or just stick to being American and have a tacky bus take you up to the front door. The views of the town below and the water were ridiculous. We went to the prison of Kolokotronis. Not that I know what that means at all. I do know that you entered a room and they had a sign that says "Prison of Kolokotronis" with an arrow towards an Alice in Wonderland-sized door. I thought it was a joke. You entered there to a small room that could fit maybe two people that had another small door that took you to the bigger room that had one light bulb in it. It was terrifying, and I'm assuming he didn't have a light bulb at the time either. I panicked and the kid I entered with was attempting to video tape this experience but I ruined that for him by freaking out and grabbing him when water dripped on me. So scary. Then a group of us found a hole that we clearly had to crawl into. Being afraid of the dark and small spaces, I was the obvious first choice to enter and lead them down the tunnel that ultimately lead to a dead end. I would not have been surprised if I saw a dead body. Great place though.

Before we got to Nafplion we stopped at the site of some palace. Interesting. Much cooler to be walking around the place instead of looking at plans and drawings in Lake Forest, Illinois. Most anything is better than that.

One of the funniest parts of this experience is how American we all are. People automatically speak to us in English even if we don't say or do anything. We were walking down a street in Athens a few nights ago and a man smoking said "Hello Americans" in his accent without even talking or listening to any of us. So hilarious. The hostel we stayed at was owned by Australians and had a wide variety of people staying there. It is interesting to meet someone and hear their random story. Really, the only thing I see in common between everyone I had met at the hostel was how much we all really liked karaoke last night. Karaoke is always the same. It starts out slow and awkward because it's always the weirdos who sign up at the beginning. (Side note-I was the second to perform. Take A Chance On Me. Abba seemed appropriate for karaoke in Greece. Nailed it.) Then people laugh and start to get comfortable and by the end of it every single person is singing and there are at least 7 people up at the microphone, sometimes strangers. This is how I met my new friend Kara who is a 23 year old American who has been nannying in Athens for 9 months. I've had many brilliant ideas like this placed into my head by these new friends. My mom would go for something like that, right? Bahahahahaha

I have taught my friends in the program the fun game called "Can Molly Jump That?" My stupidity matched with being incredibly easy to convince to do anything matched with my vertical makes this fun. So far I have succeeded in all these jumps. What I haven't succeeded in is general coordination while walking on stone pathways which are frequent here. Tricky stuff.

I have just been scolded by my lovely cousin Michelle to update my blog. Which is confusing because I don't know why people read it. I have even lost interest in it myself, and it's my life.

Last thing, I constantly have to reorganize the entire sentence structure based on the fact that I don't know how to spell a word or what form it goes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment